We have been unable to understand, comprehend, let alone accept, how you could continue to support Donald Trump.
The reasons the rest of us could not, cannot and will not ever support this sad excuse of a human being could now fill an entire book.
Or more appropriately, a couple of seasons of yet another pandering to the lowest common denominator reality show.
But, for the purpose of the point about to be made in this writing, let's run a quick list of just the greatest hits:
- publicly mocking the reporter who lives with a congenital condition that restricts the movements of his arms
- publicly insulting John McCain and other prisoners of war for their "weakness" at being unable to avoid capture
- publicly insulting a respected Indiana judge because of his Mexican heritage
- publicly calling for those attending his rally to punch protestors in the face
- symbolically slapping an entire country in the mouth by announcing that Mexico sends its criminals, drug dealers and rapists across our border....oh, and, he imagines maybe a few good people, too
- strongly implying the father of former nominee rival Ted Cruz was involved in assassination of John F. Kennedy
- publicly announcing that using nuclear weapons was a good idea
- publicly announcing his belief that America's co-operation with NATO and/or other allies was possibly best eliminated
- repeatedly referring to Rosie O'Donnell as a fat pig
- denigrating former nominee rival Carly Fiorina's face
- and, of course, the number one classic from his snarky stack of wax, the ridiculous, pathologically moronic "birther" nonsense.
- praising the dictator Vladimir Putin for his fine leadership skills
- defending his body shaming of a former beauty pageant contestant and rationalizing his having referred to her as "Miss Piggy" because of her size and "Miss Housekeeping" because of her Latina heritage
- two words, Donald Corleone, tax returns
- and, just this past week, the McCain principle 2.0....veterans with PTSD just don't have "the right stuff" to keep them from getting PTSD
“I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it...I did try and fuck her. She was married...And I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said, ‘I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.’”
“I moved on her like a bitch, but I couldn’t get there. And she was married,”
“Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.”
At that point in the audio, Trump and Bush appear to notice Arianne Zucker, the actress who is waiting to escort them into the soap-opera set.
“Your girl’s hot as s---, in the purple,” says Bush, who’s now a co-host of NBC’s “Today” show.
“Whoa!” Trump says. “Whoa!”
“I’ve got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her,” Trump says. “You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.”
“And when you’re a star, they let you do it,“You can do anything.”
“Grab them by the pussy,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”
Trump's pre-taped "apology" recorded and broadcast last night (Oct 7) was disingenuous, insincere and simply one more slap in the face of a nation that is already walking around with the facial expression of a woman who is somehow, inexplicably, horrifically, resigned to living with an abusive man and scrambling each day to rationalize staying with him.
And Trump's "rationale" for his behavior, comments, hell, his essential psychological construction?
"Bill Clinton did it and did it worse".
The very same rationale that the knee jerk defenders of this Neanderthal in Armani locked and loaded their pop guns with last night and fired away at those of us who are still waiting, wondering, by now, simply, admittedly, mystified as to why they are, still...still not able to get it about this guy.
This very morning, in that haze that hangs just above the eyeballs between being semi-awake and making a way to the coffee maker, I had what I can only honestly admit was an epiphany.
And, at that very moment, and right now as I write this piece, it came to me from a point of view I realized I had never ever before considered.
In essence, I get it.
Donald Trump is the excuse that the bitter, angry, nasty, uneducated, uninformed, bigoted, racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic among now have available to justify the spewing of their own foul bile into the stream from which we all, supposedly, draw the water to wash our clothes, bathe our kids, even drink and swallow.
Champion of the underdog?
Not even close, baby.
We're talking champion of the underbelly.
Not only the endorsement and encouragement, but the "legitimization" ,of the aforementioned anger, nastiness, sexism, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny, et al, ad nauseum, E Pluribus Unum
Holy shit, where's the Tylenol?
And those who persist in celebrating this creature, hanging on to his every defaming word and profane presentation like grim death, those whose defense of, even delight at, his sociopathic slandering and slashing and burning consists solely of "well, he may be a disgusting demagogue, but he's our disgusting demagogue" (oh and let's never forget that Bill done it first and he done it worst) are exhibiting behavior that is, absolutely nothing more, or less, than, simply, primal.
Think Lord of the Flies and add yard signs and Make America Great Again caps.
When it comes to the bile stored up in the collective gall bladders of those who would have to think a little before deciding, given the choice between flying their American flag and using it to wrap up the dead body of that uppity nigger or that sumbitch spic...when it comes to having to hold all of that poison and vitriol and venom in because they have been forced to actually try and "git along" with everybody else in "their" country, Donald Trump has made them feel free at last, free at last, they thank God almighty, they are free at last.
Once released from its frustrating captivity, the snake is never, ever likely to simply slither right back into the basket because it's the "right thing to do."
For a long, long (what seems like a very, very, very, very), long time, a number of us have been waiting for the rest of you to "get it".
This morning, it was my turn.
And I get it.
The rest of you do "get it" about this guy.
You see him for exactly what he is.
You have from the get go.
And you like it.
And there's nothing he can say or do that will turn you off about him.
Because you have no interest in his "seeing the light" or "changing his ways" or "acting more Presidential".
Been a long, long, long (what must seem to you like a very, very, very) long time since your lynch mob had a real, live, in the flesh, making it possible that it might actually happen leader.
And lynch mobs never, ever let things like reason, logic, compassion, justice, fair play, kindness, forgiveness or even common human decency get in the way of a good hangin'.
So, you're sure not even gonna give a second thought to crippled reporters or careless POW's or gutless veterans or tax forms or overweight beauty pageant contestants.
Or the every now and then locker room banter about grabbing hold of that fine pussy.
I hear ya.
Cause, after all, when it means having your sad and sorry inhumanity validated, even encouraged?
You might think you have a friend in Jesus.
But you sure as hell have a fuhrer in Donald.
I get it.